Waiting, waiting. . .

As Dan is a incapacitated with a torn LCL in his knee, we will bring you some old stories of our adventures on The Red Line.

*************************

Waiting For The Girl That Never Comes

I have been sitting here far too long. Where is that girl?

The mission today was supposed to go to Cambridge to capture video for a project we have been working on. The ultimate destination is the Cambridge Community Center (off Central) where a group called Barakat is holding the Boston Bazaar as a fundraiser for women’s literacy in Southern Asia. The Bazaar started at 1:00 p.m. and we had planned on meeting at Park Street around 1:15.

It is now 2:30.

It is cold and raining outside, otherwise I would go sit and wait in the common. The weather has been like this for much of the month. No promises of spring warmth but the utter cold of winter has been shed. The temperature has been sitting between 30 to 50 degrees for a couple weeks and I have become miserable. I can handle cold, I can handle hot. It is the in-between that kills me.

I did go top-side for lunch at the Burger King across from the station, but that only killed 20 minutes or so. Now I am back on the platform, playing Word Mole and watching the people come and go off the various trains on the hub. You can learn a lot from the type of crowd that comes and goes in Boston on a Sunday afternoon. For the most part they are families or groups, doing whatever they do for fun on Sundays. During the rest of the week Park Street is more of a transients rerouting point to either the green line or the red line that can take them to any other color line that one might desire.

Texting my colleague. No answer. Calling. Still no answer.

Where is that girl?

She is normally the responsible one except that I know for a fact she was at the bar across from my apartment last night. I figure she will be up for church and the whatnot, but you never know when people decide to go off the deep end on a Saturday night.

So I wait on the platform.

The phone rings.

“Hello? Kim? You’re what? Really? Okay, fine, I will see you there.”

She is taking a cab to Cambridge.

Might as well get back on the red line.




Qik Video of Waiting on the Green Line Platform at Park Street

0 comments:

Post a Comment